For the poached chicken:
- 2 bone-in, skin on chicken breast
- 4 whole cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 shallot, cut in half
- 1 bunch of cilantro stems
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the dressing:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, ground to sunflower butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon finely minced or grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the salad:
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce
- 1 head baby bok choy
- 1/4 cup snap peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small kohlrabi or daikon or radishes
- cilantro to garnish
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- chili flakes, optional
- Poach the chicken: place the aromatics, chicken, and salt in a medium saucepan and add just enough water to cover everything. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Chicken should be firm to the touch and cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Prep dressing: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and taste for seasoning or blend together in food processor/blender. It will be thick, so thin it with some water and a little more lime juice to taste.
- Shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Chop all of the salad vegetables into relatively uniform pieces and toss with the dressing and shredded chicken. Finish the salad with sliced scallions, cilantro, a sprinkle of salt, and a squeeze of fresh lime and chili flakes, if desired.